DIAL 911
Do not call the police station - 911 is faster

Glens Falls City Police

42 Ridge St.
Glens Falls, NY 12801

City of Glens Falls

Fire Department: (518) 761-3822
Clerk's Office: (518) 761-3800
Public Works: (518) 761-3834
Water & Sewer: (518) 761-3850
Public Transit: (518) 761-1085

Compliments & Complaints

Compliments & Complaints

The City of Glens Falls Police Department prides itself on being a professional, state accredited law enforcement agency. We expect high standards of ethical conduct from each of our department members. Occasionally, questions are raised concerning a citizen’s encounter with a police officer. The department is interested in investigating those instances where inappropriate conduct may have occurred.

All members of the Glens Falls Police Department recognize that we are accountable to the public. We encourage questions about the law enforcement process and questions concerning law enforcement behavior. I hope you found your interaction with the Glens Falls Police Department to be professional. I have included information in our web site to assist you if you believe a department member provided exceptional service, made a mistake or violated policy, or even to answer questions you may have about police service.

Submit a Compliment

Everyone enjoys receiving recognition for their efforts and there is no question that most of the employees of the Glens Falls Police Department are doing an outstanding job in our city. We realize that many of our residents and visitors to Glens Falls would like to know how to compliment our employees on a job well done.
Compliments, either by following the link above or written, are one of the best ways to let our employees know that you appreciate their good work and extraordinary customer service. A compliment for an employee is most often sent to the Chief of Police. You may also advise the employee’s Shift Supervisor. Your compliments can also be made in person, by phone or through a letter or informal note to the Glens Falls Police Department.

A compliment may address any event in that you feel demonstrates any effort on the part of the employee that deserves special recognition. This may include such acts as: unusual courtesy or compassion, significant life saving measures, or other extraordinary acts. All compliments are formally documented and the affected employees and their supervisors will be notified.

Submit Compliment


Submit a Complaint

Most citizens have limited contact with members of the Glens Falls Police Department. It is normal that you may have questions concerning how or why a particular incident was handled in the manner it was. On most occasions, the officer’s actions are dictated by state law, departmental policies, procedures, or guidelines. We are pleased to have the opportunity to explain to you the reasons for our behavior. If you need to submit a complaint about a specific incident, please fill out the form below. Complaints or allegations of misconduct occur if an officer is accused of deviating from departmental policies, procedures, or guidelines.

In order to provide a complete report, citizens are encouraged to make their questions about police conduct as soon as possible after the encounter. The department will make a written record of your question or complaint, and the circumstances surrounding the event will be investigated at the earliest possible opportunity. Depending on the classification of the complaint, it may be investigated by the first-line supervisor, the Internal Affairs Detective Lieutenant or the Assistant Chief of Police.

Complaint findings are based on impartial evidence gained and are properly adjudicated to assure the highest standards of conduct.

Disagreements over the validity of a traffic citation and differences of opinion between a citizen and an arresting officer regarding guilt or innocence will not be investigated. Such disagreements will be directed to the judicial system and the court that has jurisdiction in the matter. Complaints relative to differences of opinion regarding contributing factors listed on an accident report will not be investigated.

Submit Complaint


What is My Next Step?

Citizens may make complaints or ask questions by letter or in person at any time. A complaint form may be printed off by clicking on a link located on this page. Individuals may contact the department directly by contacting (518) 761-3840 ext. 8 for the “On-duty Shift Supervisor”.